ST PETER'S CAMERTON

IMG_0899.HEIC

ST PETER'S CAMERTON

Set in an idyllic setting on the banks of the River Derwent half a mile from the rural village of Camerton. The church is surrounded on three sides by the river and on the other side by farmland. Access is across a road through the fields.

There can be no doubt that Camerton Church played an important part in the religious life of the surrounding area in about the 11th century and is one of the oldest parishes in the Diocese of Carlisle. The church building has been re-built at least twice in 1663 and again in 1794, being restored in 1885 and 1892. For a considerable time after building the churchyard at Camerton was the burial place for Workington and Flimby as well as Camerton and Seaton.

St Peter's has a small west tower of 1855, with a polygonal top, a nave, transept and chancel. There is a single stained glass window in the vestry – Christ crowned with thorns and the Cross on His shoulder, by William Wailes.

 

The church building partly dates from the mid-19th century, but parts of the structure are medieval, for instance, the transept arch with its step and chamfer. 

 

The church contains the tomb of 'Black Tom', an old 'lord' of Camerton. According to local legend, Black Tom's ghost haunts the churchyard. Black Tom was also the name of the village pub. Legend has it that a blue pig was seen one night by someone leaving the pub.

IMG_0924.HEIC
IMG_0913.heic

St. Peter's Parish Communion is held every first Sunday at 11am.

 

There is car parking available at the church but unfortunately due to its location there are no toilet facilities.